Monday 31 August 2015

One Day Event!

So last week was busy preparing for Aston le Walls One Day event with hacking, dressage and jumping practise! Finally the big day came and with the weather set to be persistent rain, most of the car was full of various rugs!

I'm not going to blab on too much about it but it was an amazing day! I wrote off getting a place when we arrived late, I had no time to warm up for my dressage and Guinness spent 5 minutes before his test, rearing on the spot waiting to go in! There must have been 30 plus horses in and around the dressage arenas and warm up which was all a bit much for Guinness to take in 10 minutes after coming off the trailer. Never the less, we cracked on. The first half of my test was spent mostly going sideways but the second half was moderate and at least fairly straight.

When I walked the XC, I was suddenly aware that BE90 was bigger than I'd remembered! It's been 18 months since Guinness and I last went eventing and we've never before braved the 90cm class. Guinness has always been capable but his concentration, tension, spookiness and nappiness has always caused us problems. Suddenly I realised I wasn't going to be able to pop any of these out of a sideways trot if he got distracted!

The showjumping warm up was much less busy and Guinness warmed up well, although he was intent on only doing medium trot and medium canter, we stayed in a rhythm and he flew a few warm up fences with gusto! Into the ring and one little buck as the stewards sounded the bell and I gathered up my canter and pushed on. Guinness absolutely flew round, not looking at a filler or even the entrance and I was so pleased with our round! Took a long stride to one and just rubbed a pole but 4 faults and no airs above the ground; I couldn't have been happier!



We went straight to the XC start and were the first to go in my class. Getting out the start box has always been our biggest issue but I was very, very determined and I think Guinness knew so. 3-2-1- GO!!!

We flew out the start box and lots of leg and a few taps down the shoulder and the first 3 fences were a blur. I felt like we were taking every fence on a forward bold stride and I realised Guinness has never felt this confident before! Fence 6 was my worry. A big corner, off a 90 degree turn right by the mound with all the spectators. I made a good turn, got dead straight and kicked on to ensure Guinness locked on early. I felt him back off for a millisecond and quickly put my reins in one hand and gave him a tap so he knew there was no backing off now! We flew the fence, my reins in one hand and a huge sigh of relief from me on landing! 



We took our time through the water (walk in.....splash around a bit... tip toe out!) but the rest of the course flowed easily from a big bold canter and we galloped over the last and through the finish!! CLEAR!!!!



If any of you followed my previous blog which I started when I first got Guinness you will know how much we have over come together and how much of a big deal this was for me!! I'm so proud of him and yesterday he gave me the feeling that he really wanted to do it for me and that he really, really enjoyed it!! Best feeling ever!!!

We probably won't go eventing again this year as we've got lots of dressage planned over the next few months, but I'll definitely plan to do some more in the spring!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! Congratulations on such a positive run :)

    ReplyDelete