Sunday 28 August 2016

Arianna training day 13

On Saturday we were blessed with a nice breeze and a more comfortable temperature of 82 degrees F (a very pleasant 28 degrees C!). 

Arianna stood calmly at the hitching rail whilst I brushed her all over before heading over to the round pen. 

She naturally carries her head quite high as we walk through the yard, looking and checking everything out on the way. When we first entered the round pen she called to her friends and started to fidget. Instead of sending her out on to the circle this time I kept her in close range and practised yielding her nose around to her shoulder. At first we moved around quite a lot, but then she remembered and stood with her head almost touching her shoulder without me having to do anything to keep it there. We practised this 3 times each side and she already seemed much more relaxed and focussed.

Next we practised friendly game with throwing the rope over her neck and back from both sides. There is almost no brace in her body now and she didn't flinch at all and I was able to encourage her to lower her head simultaneously to throwing the rope over her with rhythm.

Now I really felt that she was a) relaxed and b). focussed on me, and we practised quarter yields, forehand yields and the yo-yo game.

Even when another horse walked along the path that goes right past the round pen, she looked over but didn't loose her focus on the exercise we were working on at the time.

We played a little circle game and she was far more comfortable being further away from me on the circle than she has previously which was very pleasing.

To finish I stood on the little mounting block and gave her lots of love, getting her more used to me being higher than her. I used driving game to position her so I was in zone 3 without stepping off the block and proceeded to scratch her over her shoulders, back and rump. She was so relaxed and we probably stood for at least ten minutes. Her head was low and I leant over her back then wrapped my arms around her flanks with my head resting on her croup!!! It was magical. We finished with bringing her head around to both shoulders with the lightest of pressure whilst I stood on the block.

I was very, very pleased with how much more relaxed she is becoming and she really has no worries about me laying on her!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment