Saturday 3 October 2015

Guinness, Hero and Peroni update

Oh my goodness where have the past 2 weeks gone!! Autumn is most definitely here now, and although we've had some lovely warm evenings, the mornings are darker, mistier and colder! It's that 'in between' time when you've no idea what type of rug to put on in the morning, how much to feed and to clip or not to clip!! It's literally a case of taking it day by day and constantly checking the weather forecast!

Guinness and I have been steadily ticking over with last minute preparations for the Petplan area festival at Oldencraig in less than 2 weeks time! I had two amazing lessons with Sue Edwards this weekend we worked on just securing Guinness confidence in to the contact which my inconsistencies had allowed to become a bit 'brittle'. Strangely this involved me riding most of my lessons with my reins in one hand! Although this work was to help Guinness find his own frame and not rely on me to help him, I couldn't help but think this was also very helpful towards my goal of riding bridleless as, although I had my reins in one hand completely still, I was able to ride large, 15m circles, squares and changes of rein with only my belly button to guide Guinness. It was satisfying to find once he settled into the frame I had given him everything else flowed more freely and in a more relaxed way and the feeling was awesome! 

We've had some lovely hacks recently too and even ventured out with some friends on Friday. Cantering through fields full of sheep with other horses was something I had never believed Guinness would ever be able to cope with but he really has grown up so much this past year and every hack is now a pleasurable one!

Hero is feeling particularly well at present. I don't think he's ever been so pampered in all his life, especially now he's an 'in at night' pony! All the enthusiasm plus an already woolly coat has made him quite hot so Bex clipped him for me yesterday and he seemed much happier. Louise and Jenna have been doing a great job keeping him entertained and exercised for me and he's even going cross country schooling tomorrow.

Peroni is doing really great and has grown in confidence since his new friend Shinty arrived. Everyday I can catch him without issue and he even canters over to the gate when he sees me coming! I can't believe how much he's filled out and grown in just 4 months!

May 2015

3rd October 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment